Thursday, January 3, 2013

New year, new trips: my target destinations for 2013

The previous year saw probably the least amount of travel around the state I've done in many years. Part of that stems from changing jobs mid-year, eliminating some vacation time.

I traveled some fun places last year, including my traditional trip to Island Lake Recreation Area in January for some winter camping, a summer visit to Grand Haven, a day visit back to Midland and Dow Gardens and a fall canoe trip down the south branch of the Au Sable River during the fall. Looking back, it seems impressive, it just doesn't seem like it compared to other years.

A new year means it's time to look forward though, and it means looking forward to new trips. This year could face challenges personally, as I am getting married in April, and our vacation time will be spent out of state, hopefully in the Hawaiian islands.

But one can dream, right? Here's where I'm planning on going, as well as a "wish list" of places I hope to reach:
Island Lake State Recreation Area
1. Island Lake State Recreation Area/Kensington Metropark 

This, as stated above, is an annual tradition. I've been heading to this park almost every year since I was 9, and I look forward to it each year. We hit the trails going cross-country skiiing, and then drive over to Kensington to hit the giant sledding hills. It's a tradition, and I'm looking forward to going later this month.

Holland State Park (Flickr photo by Gbozik)

2. Holland State Park area 

I paid a visit to this park in 2010 for 4th of July. It's a beautiful beach, even better at sunset. The lighthouse near the river that empties Macatawa Lake is pretty as well. It's just a same that it seems to have E Coli problems, at least when I was there. We'll probably make it out there sometime this summer.

Straits State Park (Flickr photo by joeldinda)




3. Straits State Park area

This is probably my biggest goal this year. My fiance has never been to the Upper Peninsula, and I've told her I'd like to take her there. Even a simple stay at a cabin near St. Ignace would suffice, spending some time in Mackinaw City or near the straits watching the freighters.






Anywhere else I should try and target for a weekend? Have a great 2013 in the outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment