Saturday, October 26, 2013

Lansing State Journal profiles dwindling Isle Royale wolf population

Every few months, I stumble across a post on the wolf-moose relationship found on Isle Royale in Lake Superior. I've seen these pieces in publications such as The New York Times and typically take the time to read them throughout.

But one recently caught my eye that has exceeded the rest: This piece by the staff at the Lansing State Journal, entitled "Silence of the Wolves." This piece reads like an interactive magazine, complete with courtesy and staff photos, narrative storytelling and a video, which is well worth the nearly seven-minute watch:



 This is a great read and worth the time to spend on it (Disclosure: I work for Gannett, the same company that owns and operates LSJ). It details the struggles of the wolf population in recent years, which has dwindled because of a lack of mating and genetic diversity on the island located in Lake Superior. More information on the wolves relationship with moose on the island can be found on this page, Wolves and Moose of Isle Royale.

Isle Royale, as I've written before, holds a special place in my heart from the trip I took there in 2005. We ran into several moose on the island, but never a wolf. I can still remember, though, hearing the wolves howl one night while staying at McCargoe Cove on the island's north side. It's a sound tough to forget, and hopefully won't be one that goes extinct at the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment